Water School

Besides drinking, how is water used?

Did you know that water will never laugh at puns or jokes because it is not a fan of dry humor?

Besides the most obvious use of water for drinking, the precious resource is also used for multiple other practices that don’t regularly cross our minds. This includes domestically in our homes, agriculturally for our food, and industrially in business.

Water in our homes can be used to bathe, cook, wash dishes and clothes, keep pools clean and full, water grass and lawns and flush toilets. According to the U.S. Environmental

Protection Agency, an average American family uses at least 200 million gallons of water a day in their home, with around 70% of this usage occurring indoors and the other 30% for outdoor use. 

Agriculture is such a major consumer of surface and groundwater that irrigation accounted for 42% of the nation’s total freshwater withdrawals in 2015, according to a U.S. Geological Survey Report. Because of factors such as a growing population and urbanization, scientists predict that agricultural production will need to increase by about 70% by 2050 to support all human life, according to Michigan State University. A bigger agricultural production will, of course, require an increase in water.

In Texas alone, irrigated agriculture is the largest water user in the state, according to Texas Living Waters. However, the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) estimates that due to unprecedented population growth within the state, municipal and industrial use will steal the top spot for water usage.

Industrially speaking, water also plays an important role in the manufacturing processes of cooling and rinsing, as well as in collecting raw materials for oil and gas production. Water can also generate electricity through hydroelectric power and for cooling steam electric plants in the state and generating electricity for many sources. For instance, you need water to watch your favorite movie.

Return to Water School to learn more about water!




The information provided on this site is intended as background on water within the Brazos River basin. There should be no expectation that this information is all encompassing, complete or in any way examines every aspect of this very complex natural resource.

If you have questions about a post or would like additional information, please contact us or call 888-922-6272.

smell appropriation parasite environmental biosolids salinity electric companies environment E. coli camping quality possum kingdom main stem effluent water code Board use classification river acre-feet corps groundwater basin bed and banks subsidence district mgd minerals map estuary PAM water use wetlands subwatershed canoe maps indirect re-use lake levels gas salt streamflow aerobic supply watershed acre-foot industrial taste golden algae streamflow water treatment water rights hunting septic system water plants flood pool flood control lake insurance filter lake level septic wetland emergency use calcium riverine agricultural aquifer measure drinking water drought infection hydrology hydrologic cycle chlorine soil USGS water quality gate meta tag bay industry storage dissolved solids landscaping volume employment anaerobic algae clarity dam depth subsidence mainstem electricity evaporation pollutants cfs corps of engineers conservation granbury municipal fish kill wastewater contract ground water E coli lake bottled water stream rights habitat reservoir mitigation water supply impound surface water governance costs organic rain fork beneficial use releases fertilizer pharmaceuticals potable inland hydrilla lawn sewage water planning solids sludge xeriscape dock drilling legislation spillway hydropower water cycle sediment marsh runoff lakes gulf monitor jobs channel fishing treatment allens creek reservoir spring mission brackish direct re-use well boating climate planning water chlorides watercourse gage kayak oxygen system authority golden algea water clarity reservoirs medicine limestone flood consumption canoeing invasive plants riparian tributary sanitation precipitation recreation TCEQ wildlife farming contaminants agriculture turbidity inundated speaker permit