Don't worry; no one will know your score but you. But if you come out with 100%, you should definitely brag.
Boater education is vital no matter the waterway. The Lone Star State has roughly 1.7 million acres of freshwater lakes and roughly 80,000 miles of river spread across its landscape. On those waterways are boaters with widely varying skill levels. Refreshing your knowledge of boat laws is important for the newbie as well as the experienced skipper to help ensure everyone enjoying the fun under the sun returns home safely.
And, anyone born on or after September 1, 1993, who wishes to operate certain vessels on the public waterways of Texas is required to take a boater education certification course. Courses teach necessary safety equipment, navigation rules, how to operate your boat and state laws for boating.
Laws aren't in place to be confusing or complicated. These things are put in place to keep everyone safe and secure while they are out on the water.
So let's see what you know.
How many of these 10 questions will you get right?
- The Texas Water Safety Act states a boat operator is ______ responsible for the wake caused by a boat until _________.
- No Wake Zones are the area where boats and personal watercraft must __________________.
- Violators of a No Wake Zone could cost the watercraft operator $____?
- True or False: You can tie a boat or watercraft to a buoy.
- Mid-channel markers are strategically placed on a lake to indicate _________________.
- The operator of a boat involved in an accident must file a report if:
a. A person dies
b. A person is injured
c. Property damage to any property is $500 or more
d. Any of the above.
- Buoys with crossed diamonds on them indicate areas that __________.
- True or False: Operators of personal watercraft can jump all the wakes of another vessel.
- What forms of identification must a person carry on board?
- On recreational vessels underway, those under __ years old must wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket unless they are below decks or in an enclosed cabin. Adults must have a properly fitted life jacket that is ____.
So how did you do?
With people flocking to the water mostly seasonally, it's important to remember to take the time to freshen up on watercraft laws. It's not just a lawful matter, but a practice that can help ensure everyone enjoys the reservoir or the river gets home safely.
No matter what, always remember to Watch Your Wake.
Take an online Boater Education course here.