Have a fun community event that you would like to be featured in next month's roundup? Send event details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Events must take place within the Brazos River basin to be included.
Upper Brazos Basin
- June 4: GRANBURY – First Saturday Bird Walk, 7 – 9 a.m. at Acton Nature Center, 6500 Smoky Hill Court, Granbury
This monthly tour is directed by Dr. Billy Teels, who earned a Ph.D. in Wildlife Ecology from Mississippi State University and worked as a biologist for 30 years. Now retired, Dr. Teels leads a monthly bird walk through the town of Granbury. Bring your binoculars and plenty of water! For more information, click here.
- June 4: ABILENE – Lake Hike, 9 – 11 a.m. at Abilene State Park, 150 Park Road 32, Tuscola
Join the Big Country Master Naturalists for a 5-mile hike around Lake Abilene. To attend, you'll need an entrance permit from the park headquarters. Wear comfortable walking shoes, dress for the weather, and bring plenty of water. Learn more about the hike here.
- June 4: CLEBURNE – Outdoor Community Day, 10 – 4 p.m., 5800 Park Road 21, Cleburne
Cleburne State Park is hosting a day filled with all things outdoors! The entire community is invited to spend the day learning kayaking, archery, backyard bass, Dutch oven cooking, and much more! Fun for all ages! Entrance Fees are waived for the day and the VFW Post 6872 is providing a FREE hotdog lunch! To learn more, click here, or call 817-645-4215.
- June 10: LUBBOCK – Glow in the Park, 6 – 9 p.m. at 4500 Avenue U, Lubbock
Light up the park! SPCAA's Project CHAMPS/ Navigator Program hosting a FREE health and resource fair at Safety City on June 10 to highlight some of the AWESOME resources available in Lubbock community. They will have glow sticks, activities, food trucks, and MORE! This will be a fun time for family and friends to come out and LIGHT UP the night! For more information, click here.
Central Brazos Basin
- June 4: WHITNEY – Star Talks in the Park, 8 – 10 p.m. at Lake Whitney State Park, 433 FM 1244, Whitney
Take a trip across the galaxy using star maps, a laser pointer and a telescope. Retired National Park Ranger Larry Smith will guide you through the planets, moon, and stars on this two-hour program at the beautiful Lake Whitney State Park. Please register your group by calling the park office during business hours at (254) 694-3973 or email Rita.email@example.com, providing the number of people attending and a phone number to contact if needed. Learn more here.
- June 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26: GLEN ROSE – Track Talk, 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. at Dinosaur Valley State Park, 1629 Park Road 59, Glen Rose
Walk where the dinosaurs once roamed and hear the park rangers retell the story of how the dinosaur tracked across Dinosaur Valley State Park! Meet at the roped-off area at the Main Track Site and bring your questions about the park, dinosaurs, and more. The event is free with park admission. Click here to see all the Track Talks and other events that are taking place at Dinosaur Valley State Park in May.
- June 4: WACO – Healthy Families Expo, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Brazos Park East, Waco
The "Healthy Families, Healthy Homes" event promises good, healthy fun for all who attend. There will be free health screenings, food distributions, cooking demonstrations, a Zumba workout, food trucks, live music, raffle giveaways, a community mural activity, and family fun activities! Learn more about the event, Click here.
- June 4: TEMPLE – Family Days Beat the Heat, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Railroad and Heritage Museum, 315 W Avenue B, Temple
Texas summer is HOT! Join the fun and cool off at the Beat the Heat Family Day. FREE event! Enjoy crafts, activities, and a fun island luau theme. Wear your best Hawaiian shirt and come have a day of summer fun! For more information, contact Michael Hicks at 254-298-5194 or, Click here.
- June 18: KILLEEN – Juneteenth 5K Family Fun Day, 8 a.m.– 3 p.m. at 2201 E Veterans Memorial Blvd, Killeen
Join in a family-friendly atmosphere with games, vendors with great products, the BEST shaved ice you could ever imagine, food trucks that make your mouth water, live performances, and so much more! To register for the event and race, click here
Lower Brazos Basin
- June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30: NEEDVILLE – Eco-Explorers, Wildlife and Science in the Park, 9:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. at Brazos Bend State Park, 21901 FM 762 Road, Needville
Brazos Bend will be offering Eco-Explorer programs Thursday mornings from June 2 through July 7. Join Brazos Bend at the Nature Center for a fun learning experience for the whole family about groups of wildlife, crafts related to the day's topic, and fun science experiments, too! To learn more, call Montse Canedo at 979-553-5123 or click here.
- June 3, 10, 17: SUGAR LAND – Parks Event Series, Food Truck Friday: DJ Series, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the Sugar Land Memorial Park, 15300 University Boulevard, Sugar Land
Food Truck Friday is heading back to Sugar Land Memorial Park. Enjoy a variety of food trucks and a different local DJ each week. And the best part? Admission and entertainment are FREE! Food and beverages will be available for purchase from select food trucks onsite each evening. For more information about this event, click here.
- June 11: BRYAN – Second Saturdays a Lake Walk-Run Club, 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. at Lake Walk Tower & Dock, 4107 Lake Atlas Drive, Bryan
Lace up your running shoes and join Lake Walk-Run Club for a run! Running coach Courtney Floyd will lead each session and help you find your base pace, train for a race, or work on increasing your time and/or mileage. The event is free & open to the public to attend. For more information, click here.
- June 11: SAN FELIPE – Second Saturdays with Steve at Stephen F. Austin State Park, 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. at 220 2nd Street, San Felipe
Team members of the Stephen F. Austin State Historical Site will share the area's history at the Second Saturdays with Steve program! The roughly 1-hour sessions at the amphitheater discuss the operation of Austin's Colony and ongoing archeological investigations, recreation among the settlers, and more! This event is free with park admission, and no reservation is necessary. Click here to learn more about the event or call 979-885-2181.
- June 23, 24, 25: MEXIA – The 92nd Annual Mexia Rodeo, at Mexia Rodeo Arena, 600 Smith Street, Mexia
The 92nd Annual Mexia Rodeo will be held June 23 - 25, 2022. Mexia Area Chamber of Commerce invites you to an award-winning UPRA sanctioned Rodeo. Enjoy the best in Rodeo action and the best in Rodeo Concessions! The rodeo performances kick off at 7:30 p.m. each night. If you have questions, please contact the Mexia Area Chamber of Commerce at 254-562-5569 or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org Learn more here.