Lake Granbury
Frequently Asked Questions

Call 9-1-1. The county 9-1-1 dispatcher will contact the lake rangers and/or emergency medical services.

Violations such as illegal dumping, unsafe boating, boating/swimming accidents or other illegal activity should be reported to the BRA immediately.

During normal working hours, Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., excluding holidays, call the BRA at (817) 573-3212.

After normal working hours call the Hood County Sheriff’s Office at (817) 579-3316 The sheriff's office dispatcher has radio contact with lake rangers and can refer your call to them.

The water in the main body of the lake meets standards for contact recreation. However, no surface water is entirely safe for all people, as all surface water contains bacteria that can be hazardous depending on exposure level and the health of the individual. For additional information on waterborne illnesses, click here.

The elevation of Lake Granbury at capacity is 693 feet above mean sea level (msl). The BRA considers the reservoir full at 692.7 msl. The current lake elevation may be obtained by going to the BRA home page here.

No, fishing licenses are the responsibility of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

A drawing for waterfowl hunting site permits is held toward the end of August each year. Anyone that would like to obtain a waterfowl hunting site permit must be present at the lake office to personally enter their name on the day of the drawing. The permits are awarded through a lottery-style drawing as a one-year use permit. Hunters that receive a permit through this process must have a valid state hunting permit and must supply their own blinds. Up to four registered hunters may utilize the blind site for the permit period. Each participant must carry a copy of the approved permit with them while occupying the blind. If fewer entries are received than the number of available sites, the remaining sites will be available on a first come/first serve basis. For dates and times of upcoming waterfowl hunting blind drawings, contact the lake office at (817) 573-3212.

You have probably witnessed the results of a fish kill. Fish kills happen for various reasons, some natural and some man-made. Fish found dead in a large fish kill should not be eaten.

To report a fish kill, please call the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Kills and Spills Hotline at (512) 389-4848 or (281) 842-8100. To see the status of a golden algae bloom go here.

No, the State of Texas requires that all watercraft be registered with the state. For more information on boat registration and titles, click here.

No, Texas law requires all motorized boats, regardless of length, be registered and the certificate of numbers must always be aboard and available for inspection by an enforcement officer. You can learn more about Texas boating registration and laws by going here.

Yes, it is legal to have open containers of alcohol on the reservoir. However, boating while intoxicated laws are very similar to regular, state-wide laws for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. The BRA recommends using a designated driver while on the reservoir.

Lake Granbury’s rangers work schedules vary for a number of reasons. Additionally, their time is typically spent in the field, or on the water, rather than in the office. If you call (817) 573-3212 and leave a message, your call will be returned. If it is an emergency, please call 9-1-1.

All-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility terrain vehicles (UTVs), dirt bikes, or golf carts are not allowed on most BRA property including the lake bed, river bed, public use areas, or PK trails. Some commercial camps allow UTVs and golf carts on the roads within their camp. For more information on particular commercial camp rules, contact the camp operator directly.