Going green or choosing environmentally friendly products to tend our lawns and landscapes is an important way of reducing pollution in our streams and waterways.
The Brazos River Authority provides eco-friendly products that have the added benefit of freeing up precious landfill space.
Tri-Gro compost and mulch is a humus product produced and sold to the general public through a cooperative agreement with the cities of Temple and Belton in place since 1990.
Biosolids from the Temple-Belton Regional Wastewater System facility are combined with wood products from brush, limbs, and trees collected by the cities. The result is compost and mulch products that allow residents to recycle the materials to benefit their lawn and gardens. By recycling both products, the need for additional landfill space is greatly reduced.
Tri-Gro native wood mulch is produced solely from trees indigenous to this area. Because this product is produced from brush and whole trees, it shreds more readily and locks together during application. This prevents it from being easily washed away during our hard Texas rains. This product decomposes slowly, maintaining its natural color longer, but still providing organic matter to the soil over a long period.
Whether you are putting in a flower bed or planting shrubs and trees, Tri-Gro products are the economical way to garden and landscape. Because it is carefully processed at temperatures higher than 133° Fahrenheit (55° Centigrade), it is free of weed seeds, plant diseases, and pathogens.
Advantages of Compost
- Provide slow release nitrogen, making it readily available to plants longer
- Improve soil tilth, making digging and tilling easier
- Improves moisture retention, decreasing the frequency of watering
- Provide organic matter, incorporating micro-nutrients into the soil that commercial fertilizers cannot provide
- Normalizes soil pH, making it good for both sandy and clay soils.
Advantages of Mulch
- Improves aesthetic appearance of beds and gardens
- Retards weed growth by providing a natural ground cover
- Decreases soil temperature in the summer
- Insulates and protects plants in the winter
- Makes excellent paths in lawns and gardens, providing a natural semi-permanent walking surface.